Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Olympics

The Olympics have begun!! I am so excited that they are finally started! My roommates and I have totally caught the Olympic fever and have spent most of our weekend watching volleyball, gymnastics, and swimming. I missed the opening ceremonies on Friday night but the clips that I have seen have been stunning! It's only been one full day of Olympic festivities but already I have a few favorite moments and athletes.


1) President George Bush has been at the Olympics and has spent quite a bit of time with the USA Team both watching them compete and getting in on the action himself. Below is him with two of the USA beach volley players. It's cool to see our President as such a down to earth guy.

2) My newest favorite athlete is Jonathan Horton. He is a gymnast for the USA men's team. I don't quite know what it is about him that I'm drawn to...besides his good looks of course. ;-) He has amazing talent and strength in his sport and is really fun to watch!
3) My most favorite moment and athlete thus far in the Olympic games was tonight at the medal ceremony for the men's swimming. Michael Phelps of course took home the gold medal for not only winning the race but also for setting a new world record! As he recieved his medal and our national anthem was being played I was overwhelmed with an amazing sense of pride for the country that I am so blessed to call home. As President Bush and his family watched on, with the same pride on their faces as Michael Phelps' mom and family, I realized what an awesome country we live in and what pride we take in supporting our own.

The Olympics have already provided me with a new sense of pride and ultimately a new appreciation for the freedom and blessings I have as a citizen of the USA. I am looking forward to another 13 days of events and proud moments!!

2 comments:

uvtcharl.blogspot.com said...

Oh Hannah, I just got the chills reading this. I really think that the Olympics will help our country cuz seriously everyone is fighting over the dems and republicans and it is so annoying. So this is a nice change of pace!

Laura said...

Now I know why you prefer Jonathon over the other US men... he's a HOTTIE!!! Woah, time to cool down a bit...